Monday 18 March 2013

Structure in training

So this weekend so the completion of an eight week block of training for me consisting of five session per week. 
My aim at the start as I outlined previously was to get fitter, lose some more weight and improve my ability to ride faster for longer. 
Those were the initial goals I set before embarking on my programme, make sure you know what the goals are you are trying to achieve, otherwise the training will become vague and structure-less.  Goals are required (or outcomes) in order to establish the training programme. 
Structure is the foundation to any successful programme, the structure of your routine, training plans, time and diet. Structure allows you to concentrate on the job in hand, monitor performance and bench mark your improvements. Without structure in your plan you are not training!
I looked at the time I had available and worked on a plan that would help me achieve the outcomes I was looking for. Funnily enough reading an article in Cycling magazine there was a training schedule by one of the BC coaches that actually ticked all the boxes for me. So it was a change for me to follow a programme that I hadn't put together myself - note you are never to old or clever to listen to someone else! 
After eight weeks with most weeks hitting all the sessions I am pleased with the outcomes, my weight has dropped to 12 10lbs, I feel much fitter, on the bike I am faster, 11 PB's on a strava ride last Wednesday evening without pushing myself. The weight loss has also aided the speed I can climb (no surprises there!).
The next stage will now be to build on this foundation and see how I perform in some races - I shall keep you posted 

NB combined with the training programme I also looked more at my diet and made a few improvements, cutting out and cutting down, switching some food products for others. Nothing too dramatic as I eat pretty well anyway but enough to fuel the training and help achieve the weight reduction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment